As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace.1 Peter 4:10
At Calvary, we make every effort to serve our brothers and sisters throughout New York City. Serving within the City is a great way to grow in your walk with Christ, meet others within the Calvary family, and discover your calling. Take a moment and explore the New York City service opportunities below.
Compassion Ministry: Homelessness continues to be a major issue in New York City. We partner with other organizations to best reach out to homeless individuals with both practical help as well as the message of salvation. Volunteers are asked to help prepare for and serve at the outreach events, and make a one-year commitment to the ministry.
Homeless Outreach: Homeless Outreach: The second Saturday of each month we gather together at 6:50 a.m. to serve the homeless community at the Bowery Mission. We also serve at The New York City Rescue Mission on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m.
- Our Bowery Mission outreach consists of helping lead a morning prayer and worship service, along with helping cook and serve breakfast to the guests of the shelter. Volunteers are needed to help distribute prayer request cards, pray with men and women, assist in scripture readings, assist in song, and/or help out in the kitchen with food preparation, cooking, and serving. All are welcome to serve.
- Our work with The New York City Rescue Mission includes praying with and encouraging men and women that find themselves in extreme need, especially during the winter season. All are welcome to serve. The NYC Rescue Mission has a special opportunity for women to volunteer within the Mission's dormitory for women. It is a great opportunity and privilege to be able to uplift and encourage the women at the NYC Rescue Mission.
Ambassadors Outreach: Our goal is to give every person in New York City a chance to respond to Christ.
- Street Evangelism Outreach: Every Thursday, during our Street Evangelism Outreach we go out in the streets of New York to proclaim Christ's love and pray with those in need. Additionally, we distribute a few thousand tracts every week. Ambassadors are asked to commit to at least two hours bi-weekly and make a one-year commitment to the ministry.
- Neighborhood Prayer Outreach: This prayer team goes out in the neighborhood to pray for Calvary and invite people to our church services. We gather at 10:25 a.m. in the front of the Welcome Center for a prayer walk through the neighborhood. Neighborhood Prayer Outreach participants are asked to commit to at least 12 Sundays a year and to make a one-year commitment to the ministry.
Care for the Ill and Shut-In: This ministry’s primary focus is to serve among shut-in and hospitalized individuals. Participants are asked to serve at least twice a month for one hour, and make a one-year commitment to the ministry.
- Dorcas Women's Outreach: Still going strong after 12 years! This group of talented women serve the Lord and others through crochet and knitting projects to be given to nursing homes, shelters, and local hospitals. Occasionally the outreach undertakes beading projects too. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month at 1 p.m. in Room 500.
- New East Side Nursing Home Outreach: This ministry gathers every third Sunday of the month. Everyone (men and women) are welcome to join us to share music, Scripture, and fellowship with the residents. New East Side Nursing Home is located in Manhattan at 25 Willett Street. We gather at 1:30 p.m. in the Calvary Welcome Center before leaving together.
Other Service Opportunities:
- Connect Ministry: This group serves by connecting with our members, visitors, and anyone who enters through the doors of our church building. Our volunteers are accompanied by an elder and a pastor of the church in order to most effectively answer anyone's questions concerting Church services, Sunday School classes, and other programs and classes through out the week. This is an easy and low commitment way to help visitors and congregation members get connected to a community of believers and enrich their relationship with the Lord.
- Follow Up Ministry: This ministry is dedicated to follow up with skeptics, seekers, and visitors. This ministry is dedicated to developing relationships with our visitors. We collect visitor and outreach contact cards and then enter the information in our church database and then follow-up with a personal call or email to each individual. Follow Up volunteers are asked to commit to at least two hours bi-weekly and make a one-year commitment to the ministry.
- Inmate Families Outreach: We place a major focus on the families of prisoners, offering them support and sharing Christ's love with them. Volunteers commit to visiting prisons, hospitals, and homes to develop relationships with the inmates and their families. Volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment to the ministry. During the month of December we bring a meal and gifts to the families of those who are incarcerated, additionally we host a special Easter program for the families.
For more information on any of our service opportunities, call or email Dr. A.R. Javed, Director of Outreach Ministries, at 212-975-0170 ext. 109, or AJaved@cbcnyc.org, or Audrey Pennant Assistant Outreach Ministries, at 212-975-0170 ext. 112, or APennant@cbcnyc.org.