Calvary Baptist Church, est. 1847
Calvary Baptist Church opened it doors to the residents and visitors of New York City in 1847 as an independent Baptist church. Initially worship services were held at the Coliseum, located at 450 Broadway under the name of Hope Chapel Baptist Church. In 1852, the church leadership started work on a new worship facility on 23rd Street. The church family relocated to the new 23rd Street sanctuary in 1854 at which time the church adopted the name Calvary Baptist Church.
Over the next decade, development and commerce along the 23rd Street corridor encouraged the Calvary congregation move toward the purchase of new property on 57th Street near Sixth Avenue, where the congregation remains today. The new sanctuary opened on December 23, 1883. Over time, the need arose to update the facilities and the vision of a church-hotel complex in the heart of Manhattan became a steel-and-concrete reality in 1931.
Throughout our nearly 170 year history, Calvary’s succession of senior pastors have shown a spiritual leadership, progressive vision, and evangelistic zeal that have made Calvary known throughout the world as the voice of evangelism in New York City. Our ministry team remains devoted to the words that grace the entryway to our sanctuary, We preach Christ crucified, risen, and coming again!, and our vision is to engage New York City and impact the World with the Message of Jesus Christ.